Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Memoir Assignment First Draft- Family Relationships, or What I Learned About Cooking

Cookbooks speak of a different era. Good ones have thick pages and added notations like “needs more milk”. The ones now are new and slick with big photos, and never have food stains on them. Most recipes have been uploaded online, all one needs is to go to epicurious.com. There’s still a market for old cookbooks though, in which Amazon reigns supreme. Need a James Beard cookbook? It’s one penny and three ninety nine for shipping.


Where I’m going with this is that my father collects cookbooks. Local ones composed by women’s clubs with plastic spiral spines are his favorite. He often tells me a good chef can look at a recipe and know what it will taste like. I haven’t gotten there yet, but I can remember the way meals taste years later. He’s told me which Joy of Cooking's are the best years, i.e. look for the 60s, and to not laugh so hard at Jello salad recipes.


If you’re looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipe, he would advise to look on the back of a bag of Hershey's special dark, but you have to “fix” the brown sugar. For dishes requiring wine, top shelf is not necessary. Any five dollar plonk will do, as long as it’s not drinkable. Citrus goes with fish, and cream is for both pasta and chicken. With Asian food, he’s terrible and will defer to me for advice. Not that I’m an expert, but I've eaten more Pho than he has. Salmon does well with a mustard and teriyaki glaze, and that’s about as exotic as he gets.


A lot of cookbook combing goes on in Goodwills. One time on vacation, we were scouring a Goodwill from top to bottom when my mother was about ready to explode from perceived germs. It was so humid outside, there was condensation on the interior windows and she had had enough. “I’m leaving,” she hissed and went to hide inside the car with A/C. And that was that.


The more books my dad acquired on his library shelves, the quieter my mom got. If anything, there was barely a side eye to behold at the office door. When we moved, however, that was a whole different story. Forty two boxes of books did not endear my father to my mother, though the moving guys almost rubbed their hands together with glee. 

At the new house, the boxes sat and moldered in the garage while “new” books were strewn on the coffee table. It seemed the cycle would be unbroken. When I came back from college for summer break I had to fend for myself each dinnertime. I sorted through cookbooks and threw up my hands, because there was nothing I wanted to make unless I smothered myself with desserts. So I improv-ed it. Fresh red snapper? Sure, with a raspberry vinaigrette sauce. Or chicken alfredo with once frozen green beans. American food. Easy to remember and make food. After awhile I got bored with my own cooking and turned to online recipes. I made a killer cinnamon banana bread, that was poured into cupcake tins, because a loaf was too fragile. I also consumed copious amounts of tea. Tea drinking is a great indication of mood, because it has less caffeine, thus I had more sleep to make me less grumpy.


Some nights my mom worked so late I would put the leftovers into plastic tupperware. Part of cooking for another person is knowing their likes and dislikes. My mom hated mushrooms, and if I was feeling somewhat malicious, I would use cream of mushroom soup in the base ingredients. Most often though, I would make a baked potato,some sort of beef- usually skillet cooked, and have a wild experiment with the vegetable. The only one who would eat garlic and soy braised bok choy was me though. My most successful dinner was white wine baked pork chops, which took the least amount of attention because everything was left in the oven for two hours.


When I went back to college, my cooking dropped off a cliff and my mother switched to frozen dinners. I haven’t cooked in more than three months, and I know from experience my skills tend to deteriorate. When I’m on my own for study abroad in Rome, I figure I’ll have a month learning curve to recalibrate myself to cooking, but the abundance of good restaurants will probably be a hindrance to my skills. Why make something terrible if you can buy something better? Money, which tends to be the universal answer. If you can’t make a cake, Duncan Hines is a good place to start. Also, let’s talk about refrigeration. Americans have large freezers, we know this. My father has a Kenmore laydown one in the garage. Most families believe in having a few frozen emergency meals around as a time saver. If not meals, then out of season fruits, or large quantities of meat. We freeze bread in my house so it doesn't go stale or mold before we finish a loaf. The only other person I know to do this is my bachelor uncle. I’m sure there are jokes about the atomic age somewhere in there.

Food is a large part of home life, whether good, bad or in between. To travel is to expand those experiences. To go to Italy, to Canada, to anywhere really that’s outside one’s culture and then attempt to carve out a place through food is about belonging. Look, for example, at America’s foodscape. We have everything from Chinese to Jamaican to Greek. People who have come here have brought their food with them. Food is about memory too, so don’t be afraid to throw big dinner parties. Make everyone you know bring a dish that’s special to their family. And if you have to resort to a cookbook? I won’t tell a soul.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Colleen,
    I really like the way you analyse cookbooks! The way you view a good cookbook as well as good recipes as flexible and in the eyes of the cook to determine is really interesting. I think you bring it together in the end in terms of theme but I would like to see these elements a little more present throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some really good parts here, but I don't know that they all go together. I think it might help if you had a more narrow focus for this essay, and saved the other material for other pieces so that it can be more fully developed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading this, Colleen, I'm getting very curious (which is a proof of quality regarding your essay): do you have stories about looking at a cookbook or a recipe in particular ? How do your parents use their cookbooks ? Are yours full of food stains ? The topic you picked is great, really. To make this essay better, a pinch of personal staff in your piece would spice the whole and make it a culinary success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen,
    There's a lot of good stuff here! But I got a bit lost - you might be trying to explore too many themes/topics in this piece. I loved reading your thoughts on cookbooks, and specifically the part about your relationship with your dad in relation to cooking/cookbooks. I'd be interested in seeing that aspect of the piece developed further.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen! I loved how you started with cookbooks! I want more of it! I also like that you give us a little of your parents' relationship with each other and the effects of the cookbooks. I do not yet know if we have the main point of this story, however. I think there are a lot of good things happening, but maybe just focusing on the cookbooks, or your own explorations of food, or traveling as a means of broadening experience- I think if you pick one of those and focus it will make this piece that much stronger! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never thought that deep about cookbooks before, but after reading your story, I realized how would be fun to try different cookbooks which I've never done before. It is great that you relate to your past story to the future. I bet it is so tempting to just go to restaurants and get meals all the times if one lives in Rome. I like the last part the idea of make people to bring their own foods from homes which will be interesting tasting. However, it will be nice for this piece to concentrate on one topic.. it flows well but it is hard to catch up what is the real topic[theme] for your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colleen,
    Nice! I liked the way you analyzed cookbooks, instead of food. It was enjoyable to read. However, like Kat, I got a bit lost. Maybe look for certain aspects of this memoir you can expand on and tie together more closely. For example, the "food is about memory too" at the end threw me off because I felt like a new idea was being introduced. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colleen, I really like how you have woven your piece with cookbooks! It is really interesting and was fun to read. I just wanted to suggest that it would be better to have one closer focus, and maybe break down your last paragraph. As Mallika mentioned, the last paragraph seems to be rather unrelated to the piece as a whole. But great job! See you in the workshop :)

    ReplyDelete