Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Process Writing



Just to look at my writing process, it goes something like this:
write in stream of consciousness spurts
stop
come back, write
edit, revise
review, submit

Then my revision process looks like this:
let comments sink in (may take a few days)
go back to piece and reread
then edit bits and pieces
let it sit (a few more days)
go back, review piece, edit some more
review
submit

Overall, I found my writing process to resemble that of a flurry of creativity, though not always good work, and the revision process to be slowing going. I would find myself frustrated at not being able to express myself clearly, so those sections in my work that were confusing got the most editing.

In terms of workshops, feedback is always useful to pinpoint areas in a piece that need strengthening or changing altogether. I sometimes find myself embarrassed by the quality of my work when under scrutiny, but one has to separate the wheat from the chaff somehow. Readers comments are a good way to do so, however, the author has final editorial right. Sometimes I would read a sentence aloud, and change it to my vernacular, rather than a more formal suggestion.

By taking two English classes at the same time, both with workshops, but having a different focuses with either fiction or nonfiction writing challenged me to think outside the box in how these forms of writing are complementary. I would not think a food review, which could be just a telling of the facts, required storytelling to make the piece interesting. Thus, I sometimes tried and failed blending the two types of writing, but sometimes the piece came out better than the part, i.e. my memoir.

The usefulness of the texts for this class was in their structure. Because I haven’t written a lot of non fiction, I used works like the Omnivore’s Dilemma or Stealing Buddha's Dinner to format what good nonfiction should look like. I may have not reached the quality of published writing, though I’m glad I tried.

I guess what I learned about myself is I have perfectionist standards, though that’s not really realistic to hold myself to it. Writing, and learning, is a process that continues with time, much like any good revision.

Have a great summer everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment