Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Perfect Meal Draft

The perils of college living in part involve the college cafeteria. The food can vary from weird, buffalo chicken lasagna for example, or inauthentic, like pad thai made with alfredo noodles. Sometimes one longs for food that is different, or cooked by oneself. For a sophomore seminar, I had been giving the task to create the ‘perfect meal’, no simple feat. To begin to understand what’s perfect for me in a meal involves the meals of my childhood.
Both my mother and father come from large families of five. I am an only child. Thus every Christmas or Thanksgiving, the extended family would gather at someone’s house, sometimes ours, and there would be at least twenty people, including the children. These grand dinner parties would have a whole turkey, stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, and three types of pie for dessert. For Christmas, there was sometimes a goose, but always a chocolate cake. The meal was crowned with the largest fir tree on the lot in the background, an imposing guest in its own right. The grand dinner parties of my youth made me want to throw one of my own, but for college students.
Thus, I had to cut corners somewhere, because dormitory kitchens are a sad sight to see. One stove, and the pots and pans have to be scrounged up. I asked a friend, Clare, if I could borrow her kitchen instead, where she had two refrigerators and more than three pots. Her one rule was I had to invite all her housemates. Including many of my friends, the guest list was a staggering twenty five. To combat that, I had created a Facebook event, where if one didn't RSVP, they didn’t get food. In the end, eleven people came, where two were friends of friends.
Another friend, Emily, had a car. People with cars on campus are royalty in my mind, and she was someone I could count on. Because of the number of guests, and my desire to keep the cost of feeding people low, I wanted to go to Meijer. Thus, Emily and I had a grocery run on Saturday evening for the Monday night meal. For some reason, we thought it would be a good idea to share a split tier cart. While Emily was in the cereal aisle, I would be in the salad dressing aisle. The game of text tag that we played, Were R U?, was more fun for me than her because I had the cart. By the time I had everything I needed, and so did Emily for her Chinese dinner, the cart was stuffed to bursting, and I had to get leverage by pushing the cart forward with one foot stabilized by floor. The looks she and I received were well worth the bickering.
“Do you really need a whole gallon of milk?” she had asked.
“Of course!” I replied. “It’s for both cooking and drinking.”
I then faked a dramatic death scene, and continued to checkout. I think Emily was afraid I would embarrass her further at the conservative Meijer, so she pushed for self check. In the end the total for everything was fifty three dollars, which wasn’t too bad for eleven people.
My menu went something like this: salad starter, fettuccine alfredo with shrimp and peas, garlic bread, gelato for dessert, and milk or water to drink. The shrimp was the big ticket item, but it was part of the grand dinner plan, as chicken would be too boring. What I didn't truly think through was how much of a logistic problem cooking would be, for I had invited two vegetarians, one vegan, and and a girl allergic to shellfish, Emily.
In The Omnivore’s Dilemma, Michael Pollan states “A vice president of marketing at General Mills once painted me a picture of the state of the American family dinner...Mom, perhaps feeling sentimental about the dinners of her childhood, still prepares a dish and a salad that she usually winds up eating by herself. Meanwhile, the kids, and Dad, too, if he’s around each fix something different for themselves,because Dad’s on a low-carb diet, the teenager’s become a vegetarian, and the eight-year-old is on a strict ration of pizza... Families that eat this way are among 47 percent of Americans who report to pollsters that they still sit down to a family meal every night” (302). My perfect meal was becoming the perfect American meal, with dietary restrictions galore.
On Monday night, I got started at 5:30 for a 7:00pm meal time. I pulled the garlic bread from the freezer, and put the water on to boil. I rinsed and washed the salad packs, and put it in a pretty bowl. The salad then went back into the fridge. I knew I was going to cook the vegan food first, so it wouldn’t get ‘contaminated’ with dairy products everyone else could eat. I used vegan soy ‘butter’ and sauteed the onions with garlic, then added the frozen peas. Next, the spices went in, oregano and smoked paprika. After that was done, I put the mix in a bowl to rest, and repeated the process with real butter for the vegetarians. At that time the water had been boiling a while, so in went the fettucine noodles. I also put theveggie mix into a bowl, and put it aside. Now came the hard part, cooking with the shrimp. Onions were sauteed, and the smell of garlic permeated the kitchen. When the onions were clear, I added one bag of frozen shrimp. At this point, my friend Clare butted in to avoid doing homework. She took over stirring, while I worked on the sauce. I drained the pasta into a colander, and raised it with cold water and put it aside.
One side note, I am a fond food user of the concept of cheating. To cheat is to often substitute, when one is one a budget or a lazy chef. Sometimes I am both. For the alfredo I had bought Ragu sauce, a cheap 1.49 a can special I planned to doctor.
Into the pan went two cans of Ragu, some milk to thin the sauce, and a helping of paprika and oregano. Meanwhile, Clare was faithfully stirring, and had added another bag of shrimp. I threw the bread in the oven and looked at her.
“When do I add the peas?” she said.
“Is the butter boiling?” I responded.
“Yesss?”
“Now then,” I had said.
I then added the sauce to the pasta, after removing enough for a serving for the vegan, and mixed it together. My friends had the set the table and by then, dinner was ready, and everyone was to serve themselves family style. The concept was one would take a serving of pasta and then add the appropriate topping. The salad and garlic bread were on the table in a free for all. We settled down to eat and the first bit was good, but under salted. The changing of hands of the salt shaker made my heart sink, but the choruses of “it’s so good!” served to bolster my flagging spirits. As I looked around the table, Emily on my left and Clare on my right I realized it was less about the food, and more about the friends I had. But dinner still needed salt.

8 comments:

  1. Colleen, I think you do a good job witht eh characters in this piece. We get the sense that it is people that are what is important to you before you explicitly say that. I do think there are times you throw ideas in that you don't totally flush out so they are sort of left hanging. And the actual eating/reflection of the meal was very brief compared to the the length of descriptions of preparation (which I realize is sort of the point but you could try balancing it out a bit more).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos for cooking for 11 people Colleen! I think you did a great job capturing the challenges of cooking with limited resources (transportation, kitchen surplice/facilities/ time), and you seemed to overcome the challenges creatively. I would like to know more about what made this type of meal your perfect meal. What did you like, or maybe, what do you miss, about the grand dinner parties of your youth, and are those memories what impact your idea of the perfect meal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Colleen! I enjoyed the section about being in Meijer and think you gave a lot of great background about the limitations of your meal. There seemed to be a lot about the preparation of the meal, a huge build up, and then not a lot of detail about the actually eating of the meal. I wanted to know more about how the food tasted. I also wanted to know your reactions to the food, in addition to your friends saying it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Colleen, I like how you put your friends (characters) in your piece. It is brilliant and fun. However, I think that last part is little bit too in rush. You could have expanded more ideas or conversation/ambiance you had while having dinner. It is great that you fed so many people, and that's so important in college life: free food! You must have been tired after that, so I hope to see more your hardship during cooking although you sound like you had fun! I want to see the tastes of your foods also.
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice use of dialogue here! I also like how you bring in the theme of different dietary restrictions and how it ties into The Omnivore's Dilemma, but it seems like you were able to work out a solution! I thought that the grocery shopping scene may have been a little too much. Great job and I cannot wait to discuss in class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good use of the reading. The first paragraph could be stronger, as the description of caf food doesn't really hook the reader, or transition well into the rest of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colleen, I really agree with McKenna that you did good job of using dialogue. I also like how you developed other characters, besides yourself, in this piece. And more than anything, I highly appreciate that you invited 11 people and cooked for all of them. I just wish I could see your reflection more while eating and after eating. And how did meals for those with dietary restrictions go? Because you have mentioned it earlier in the beginning and even in the quote, I would like to know more about it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colleen, I really like this entire work. You seem to understand all that is at stake for the perfect meal. However, as Katherine, I would like to know why this meal is perfect: was is the atmosphere ? The presence of your close friends ? Otherwise, really, great job !

    ReplyDelete